Monday, November 7, 2022

FOMO

Some months ago, I read of FOMO.  I am not up on the latest expressions but I was curious so I looked up "FOMO".   What I found said that the letters stood for "fear of missing out".  I think that sort of worry can pop up when I hear that a wonderful party was held but I hadn't been told or invited.  


We have many ways of communicating these days and information about an exciting event can be sent by email while I am only looking at Facebook.  Lynn and some other women have devotedly used US Post for communication once a month for decades.  They know they could send a text message but they want to stick to handwriting on paper that gets put into an envelope, stamped with a US postage stamp and mailed.  I might develop FOMO when I find out that people I know talk on Google Voice but I don't check that service. 


Anyone who uses tv or the internet or borrows books from a library can actually see that they aren't keeping up and cannot.  Viking and Elderhostel/Road Scholar make it clear that there are many parts of the world I have not visited.  


The more I estimate and calculate, the clearer it becomes that whether I have a fear or not, I am going to miss out on many trips, books, friends, movies, etc.  I have several thousand Kindle books, many that I have never opened. Each Monday, I can go online using https://libbyapp.com, the app/program called "Libby" and see more than 12,000 books I can borrow for free.  Netflix offers me 3700 movies I can watch.  


I am moving away from any fear of missing out and improving my acceptance of my gorgeous limitations of time, patience and interest.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby