Saturday, November 5, 2022

Hit in the head

Years ago, I was a high school senior minding my own business when the track coach told me that the school's main pole vaulter was out due to injuries.  He invited me to try to substitute for the missing athlete.  I thought to myself that I might be good at the event.  I put on shorts, got a pole, found the area and gave it a try.  I had vaulted over a ditch or two and, of course, I was attracted to the idea of being a sudden hit, scoring big points and setting amazing records.   Who needs talent when you have imagination?


I ran down the lead path with my pole at the ready.  No one watched me, which turned out to be a good thing, in a way.  There was a small cement pit for the pole to catch in.  I knew that I should let the point of the pole catch in that little pit and take off.  I did take off but did not sail up very high.  I came down in a state of disappointment, which quickly turned to pain, as the long, sturdy metal pole toppled into my head.  Ouch!  O, yeah!  Don't forget about the pole.  Cast it away from yourself.  Try again.  Run, leap!!  This time, I had not remembered to shove the pole away but I remembered to protect my head.  The falling pole was trying to score again but I raised my forearm to protect my head.


There are important nerves that run along the arm.   If you raise your forearm to deflect a falling metal pole, there is a good chance that the pole will strike a nerve.  In this case, it did.  Yow!!  


I tried several more times.  I cast the pole away from myself and suffered no more blows to the head or arm.   Each try, I managed to get a foot or two off the ground.  I ended my pole-vaulting career that same day. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby