Friday, November 4, 2022

Preparing to write a master's thesis

Many teachers don't like math.  But in many school systems, getting a master's degree will improve a teacher's pay level.  So, at some point, teachers may be staring at the business end of a degree beyond the bachelor's.  Getting a master's degree often includes writing a thesis, the term for a paper that culminates the master degree program.  The word "thesis" can also pop up meaning something like "in a nutshell, what is your idea".  A master's degree doesn't have to include writing a thesis.  Writing a thesis doesn't have to include numbers or numerical analysis of data.  More and more qualitative research studies are being done. 


If I can assert that 90% of people are left-handed, I may have arrived at that figure by checking a reasonably large number of people.  Just determining an acceptable sample size can be one or more statistics lessons.  I would sit through those lessons if I needed credit for a statistics course or if I planned to do a quantitative study that involved samples and larger numbers of people.  However, many teachers know how intimate and individualized learning is.  For that and other reasons, the number of qualitative research studies is on the increase.  So, as a candidate for a master's degree, I might aim in a slightly different direction.  I might confer at length with some left-handers, perhaps all of the same age or perhaps of a range of ages, and talk with them about positives and negatives of being lefthanded.  


The paper I write might explain advantages and disadvantages that lefthanders mentioned facing.  In preparation for writing such a paper, I might take a course on interviewing and not take anything about statistics.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby