Monday, November 28, 2022

Ebooks for children

Lynn started tutoring a pair of 2nd graders, a boy and a girl.  The main academic goal is to become a more fluent reader.  Many people have heard of the summary of basic education, called the 3 R's.  They were readin', 'rithmetic and writin'.  Note that reading is considered the basis of the basis.  It is a complex skill and can take a few years to develop.  No matter how many years you have been reading, getting into a complicated field in a high-level textbook can still be a challenge.  So, if you have read books, thank a teacher or several, maybe including your parents and others who got your interest up, kept you at reading when you were discouraged.


Today was a day for Lynn to go to the elementary school and tutor.  She needed to get a book of appropriate difficulty to use with her pupils.  As she talked about doing that in various ways, I got to thinking myself.  I like ebooks,  just about exclusively from Amazon, since they aren't very expensive and are as quick as a phone call.  I got my first ebook in April, 2008, fourteen years ago.  I have many now but until this morning, I had never even thought of ebooks for children.  


Of course, the basic characteristic of books for children is including colored drawings.  My Kindles don't show colors but read.amazon.com does on a computer.  I found there are quite a few children's books on Kindle and today I bought my first one ever.  It's "There was a cold lady who swallowed some snow".  The physical, social and equity ramifications of the story are extensive.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby