Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Conservative?

I like to think of myself as an open-minded guy interested in "good ideas" and "progress" toward a good life.  But sometimes, I see signs that don't support that picture.  Sometimes, I get quite annoyed with the simple passage of time.  Today is Wednesday, March 20.   I just get that fact firmly in mind when the fact gets out-of-date and WRONG.  It will get to be time for bed rather quickly and when I wake up in the morning, I will have to clear that fact out of my head and memorize the day as being Thursday, March 21.  


I was reading about Americans who call themselves "conservative" and what people drawn to that group have said their basic beliefs are. I read that a basic belief is that a smart citizen keeps his eye on the government and works to keep it smart, unobtrusive and limited. I can't find any more obtrusive aspect of my relations with the US government than its imposition of time zones and dates.  I have read that before the American development of its railroads, each town looked to the sky and took the moment the sun was at its most overhead position to be noon.  So there were multiple "times" all over the place, not even considering the reliability and steadiness of clocks and time calculations.  I'm a time-conscious guy, maybe even time-dominated, but I would like my government in the land of the "free" to get off my back and not change the damn date every damned day!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby