Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Immediate

I was born in the US a while back and I am now rather old.  I have been abroad some, but basically I am an American.  That means in addition to my natural basic impetuosity and male readiness, I learned that a fundamental measure of life proceeding as it should is immediacy.  When I type, it should be FAST!  When I cook dinner, I should prepare it FAST!  When I calmly sit back and enjoy the day, the moment, my life, I should get deeply in such enjoyment FAST!  


I am confident that seeking, promoting immediacy has its limits and downsides.  I learned from the very helpful book "Incognito" by David Eagleman (only $7 in Amazon ebooks or borrow from a library) that there is far more to me than just my mind.  The important parts of me, the parts that are needed to keep alive, are often unconscious.  A stethoscope can detect my heart rate and other devices can measure this or count that but many essential processes are not directly detectable nor controllable.


It is fully true that respiration, balance on just two feet, digestion and processes I am not aware of all matter to my old, wrinkled body.  There are sort of inbetween factors that are mostly outside my mind but are still quiet influencers that exert some control that is difficult to notice and very difficult to modify like habits, unconscious effects of hormones, levels of fatigue.  


Despite all that, not everything needs to be immediate.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby