Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Getting some air

Around here, 80° F is hot.  My friends in Florida and Arizona laugh at me but I know what I am writing about. So if we are even forecast to have anything in that temperature neighborhood, we may want to open the house up.  We are pretty quick to close back down and get the air conditioning going but when we first got to 80 the other day and my wife purred over the delicious air, we wanted to do our east-west, north-south thing and open windows.  The kitchen window gets the best and most consistent breeze but it was painted recently and doesn't open easily.  More difficulty: the window is right at the kitchen sink and so it is hard to reach over the sink and give the window effective lifting pressure.  It helps if you are trying to get the window up, if you open the latch, too.  


Don't expect me to be easily defeated by a window.  First I took the time to read and understand that the latch is helpfully printed with the word "locked' on one side.  When the latch is on, I found out it is easier to switch it away from "locked" when getting the window to open.  To exert effective opening effort, I removed my shoes and socks and used a kitchen ladder to get standing above the sink.  In that position, I opened the window!


Unfortunately, while getting down, I nudged the step ladder away from myself and fell.  All you have to do is mention the word "fall" and your friends immediately start planning your funeral.  Us wrestlers are used to falling, both on purpose and because of our opponent.  This fall left me with a sore neck that has limited turning.  I just got an appointment with a physical therapist tomorrow morning.  Otherwise, I am fine. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby