Monday, May 16, 2022

Thinking of what I want to say

I like the Learning in Retirement organization on our local campus.  Many people are reluctant to speak to a group publicly.  I suppose they realize that others can see them speaking to someone in the supermarket or in the stands during a game.  I am not sure just what pictures those who are afraid of the attention of a group hold in their mind.  As we read "The Female Brain" by Louann Brizendine, MD, I read about being afraid that people would judge a person negatively.  Why is he so short?  Why is he so egotistical?  Does he really think anyone is interested in what he has to say?


I just looked up fear of public speaking and found that it is also called "glossophobia" and that it might be that 77% of people are afraid of doing that.  Since my neighbors can see me doing this and that, I personally don't think it is a big deal.  Of course they don't realize how much fun I am - they never had the chance to learn it.  


The campus organization is called L.I.F.E. and those letters stand for "Learning Is ForEver".  If I had my choice, I might use the name WHIS, pronounced "wis", rhymes with "Nice", after the words "We Have Interesting Stories". I have been associated with our Life for more than 10 years and have been impressed at the knowledge and charm that lies in so many aspects of our community. Consider a shoemaker or real estate agent or mother of three.  Any of them might surprise us with stories of their experiences.  I admit that putting together some notes or Powerpoint slides takes some time and effort but that time and that effort is the most valuable part of contributing a presentation.  We do have professors and retired professors and teachers and other community figures like lawyers and officials talk to groups.  That sort of professional is used to giving presentations for a group.  But we also have pilots and nurses and others who have to organize their thoughts to decide what they want to say.  That organization, that overview of a life or a trade or an experience is a personal lift worth quite a bit.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby