Sunday, May 22, 2022

Habits, routine and adventures

When the doctor says my blood sugar is too high, I cut back on sweets. But I have to work at changing my habit of having a dish of ice cream.  It is a habit and I like doing it.  I am uncomfortable having to stay out of the kitchen and tell myself "No!" when my taste buds tell me I haven't had my customary candy.  Habits and routines can be comfortable and they can guide me efficiently driving through town and through the steps of meal preparation.  But they may sometimes need updating, trimming, expanding and modification at times.  


When I get a mental reminder that it is the usual coffee time, I can also get a feeling that my life is overly repetitious.  That's when I trot out more concentration on time.  I am such and such an age, it being so many minutes since I was born.  In another five seconds, I will be five seconds older.  I have never been that exact age before.  From this peak of chronological achievement, I can proudly look down on all those previous seconds, minutes, days, weeks, months, years and decades I have already accomplished.  At the same time, I can relish the current moment, having never, ever been in this moment previously.  When I think of the busy week we just had, the excellent tv show we watched last night, the wonderful books I have to read and plenty of other blessings and goodies, I find I have trouble restraining myself from running ahead into next week just to see what it's like there.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby