Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Brains and hormones

My path began when I asked myself what I enjoy.  It was clear to me that I enjoyed working to understand other people.  That might imply study in psychology or counseling but I found better prices in education.  I became a professor in a school of education.  Normally, such a group is focused on training teachers. 


It doesn't take much experience training college students who have enrolled to become certified teachers to learn that a basic variable is gender/sex.  Being a teacher of those not of age can be a balancing act between being something of a friend and being an authority with powers of punishment.  Generally, female teacher candidates are more comfortable being friendly while males are usually more comfortable with being disciplinarians and enforcers of rules and decorum. 


I attended a large public all-male high school so when I went to a teacher's college where only 20% of the students were male, I felt a strong difference.  I have only females in my family except for my father and later, my stepfather.  I taught the 5th grade for 4 years and found most of the other faculty members were female and many of my students were, too.


From those and other experiences, I was interested in differences in life and thought for males and females.  Years ago, I read "The Natural Superiority of Women" by Ashley Montague and other sources about both male and female psychology.  It was only recently that I found "The Female Brain" by Louann Brezinedine, MD.  I read it to Lynn and was impressed with her language and comments.  She emphasizes that female human brains get restructured by strong hormones each month of the large section of their lives that they are fertile.  Hormones affect males, too, but not such opposite ones during parts of every single month.  


Brezinedine has written two other books, too: "The Male Brain" and "The Upgrade".  We also read The Male Brain and it is good and are part way thru The Upgrade, a book about the woman's mental abilities after menopause.  So far, I most recommend The Female Brain.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby