Friday, May 13, 2022

Choices

from Num Lock News 11/23/2020

a classic 2000 study found that when shown 24 types of jam, 3 percent of consumers made a purchase, but when shown just six types, the purchase rate rose to 30 percent. Bed Bath & Beyond saw can opener sales increase 30 percent after cutting some styles, part of a larger inventory cut amid a store redesign


I am interested in choice and methods of choosing, from selecting a name from a hat [a hat is not as good as a bowl but may be handier], to using a multi-column chart to award points based on various factors, to asking Mom or Dad.


It can be more difficult to choose from a very large number of possibilities.  A large number alone can discourage. A grad student traveled 60 miles to buy a machine but found too many offered in the store and returned with nothing.  I don't know about the history of thinking and argument about elections, but maybe it is easier if we have primaries and then a final election.  We can give more minute examination to the choices that survive the primaries.


There is some evidence that humans have an immediate reaction to possible choices.  If I have immediate reactions, I can include them in my considerations if I am aware of them.  If I am infuriated about one choice and attracted to another, something in me or the choice might be triggering that reaction.  If I want to be careful, I can add a column to my chart for my immediate reaction. 


If I want, I can make a choice on paper more than one time.  Sure, I will know what happened the first time when making the 2nd run.  That may influence me but that might be helpful.  I can always add a column for points from the first choice.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby