Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Borrowing ebooks through the air (they return themselves)

But the dark ages are over: While dynamic podcast ads were less than half the market in 2019, last year 84 percent of ads were dynamic, and that's only going up.

Ariel Shapiro, The Verge

Evidently, dynamic ads change according to the viewer's behavior.  That could mean many things and likely it doesn't mean just one kind of change. I tried to get an answer to how much better in several senses dynamic ads have been shown to be but I didn't.  I have read of the 'funnel', an image of a funnel that counts visitors to a site, then those that take steps to further inquire or focus and finally those who make a purchase.  

I use the app "Libby" to borrow ebooks from libraries.  They come to my Kindle and Kindle apps through the air.  I can keep a borrowed book for 14 days and that is enough time to see if I want my own copy, depending on my opinion of the quality of writing and the price.  I usually set Libby to just show me books, not magazines or audiobooks, to just show me non-fiction and to just show me what is available right now without any holds on it.  Right now, 117,000 items meet those standards.  I just found out yesterday that I can see how many pages of 8 books are available using those specifications.  Today, the answer is 495.  I have the option of looking at any of those pages.  I can start looking at page 250 or page 300.  One reason I might do that is the first few pages that meet my standards often contain book after book that I have finished with.

A basic idea in making suggestions is "more of the same".  If I have finished two cowboy books, why not offer me a cowboy book?  A basic objection might be "I am tired of cowboy books".  What else is available? Every subject can be riveting if it is handled well and I am in the mood to explore and learn new things.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby