Saturday, May 21, 2022

George Bilgere

Some friends were discussing The Writer's Almanac.  Yes, it is still published and is available by email daily.

 

https://www.garrisonkeillor.com/radio/twa-the-writers-almanac-for-may-21-2022/


You can click on a link to an audible reading.  There are also citations of people and events that happened on that day in history.  Since most emails I get are ads and offers to accept money, it is a pleasure to read about people in fairly recent history.  They make up a very mixed selection since few of us plan which day to be born.  


Today's poem is "The Ineffable" (that which cannot be put nicely into words or even at all).  It begins:

I'm sitting here reading the paper,

feeling warm and satisfied, basically content

with my life and all I have achieved.

Then I go up for a refill and suddenly realize

how much happier I could be with the barista.

The poet is George Bilgere.  If you search my blog, you will see other places I have mentioned this poet.  https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/


I taught a course for experienced graduate teachers in which we reviewed the books we have read, ever.  Many people can recognize titles of books they have been meaning to get to, but never have.  For such thoughts, I use "Moby Dick" as an example of a popular book, recognized by many as important in the history of American writing, but one they haven't gotten to yet.  This line of thinking came up repeatedly in my reading course.  So, naturally, I read Bilgere's poem, "Once again, I fail to read an important novel"

https://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php%3Fdate=2006%252F09%252F22.html


It is true that we can't do everything and we can't read everything. Besides, as we age, we find that we don't remember what we have read, and we could spend more and more time re-reading what we have read.  And that is not even counting time for tv, taking walks and sleeping.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby