Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Phone updates

I think it is quite surprising what communication can do.  I can entertain, create and send documents, pictures, videos.  I can explore subjects.  As far as I am concerned, there can be too much communication.   When I am trying to think about something, I don't want conversation, notifications, ringing bells or flashing lights trying to tell me something or alert me.  I realize the latest message might be very important but I reserve the right to attend to it if and when I want to and not before.  


As a modern citizen, I enjoy thinking about a topic and I don't want to be interrupted or asked questions during thinking time.  Between keeping devices and programs I want to have charged up and up-to-date and getting other things of importance done, I have limited time, interest and energy for devices, games and similar peripherals. Over the last couple of days, our Apple devices got an update.


You may be aware of the difference between "update" and "upgrade".  Devices can be irritatingly changed for security or enhanced performance just because a new configuration seems a good idea. I don't know much about the mechanics of updates but it is sometimes the case that engineers need quite a bit of space to have a strong chance of properly removing.  The new software may need only x amount of storage space but the transition may need two or three times that space temporarily.  


It is possible to remove games and apps temporarily, remove outdated software, install the update and replace games and apps that deserve being put back.  Getting all that done can take time and may include mistakes that later need correcting.  Getting a cellphone update showed us that it is time to get a new phone.  So, don't be surprised if we sound ever so much better on phone calls.  Looking into versions and models, we read that after a few years, we are using Stone Age equipment.  We are hurrying to improve.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby