Thursday, December 16, 2021

Yesterday was foggy

We are used to temperatures like 20°F during this part of the year. So, we expect some trouble when they climb to 56° F.  Temperature differences cause storms of various kinds and the more extreme, the more trouble we expect.  We didn't have too much trouble but we did have fog.  The thickest fog I have experienced.  I did drive about 12 miles in the fog.


I found that I could barely see beyond my headlights.  It wasn't absolutely necessary that I drive and I was invited to re-plan several times.  But I actually had no trouble.  The headlights of other cars were a big help in seeing an on-coming vehicle.  I avoided the superhighway since I was pretty sure I would outrun my headlights.


The heavy fog really eats up the snow cover. We have little snow drifts and piles scattered around but the mass of the snow, probably an average depth of about 6 inches, is pretty well gone.  People, animals and plants can all get bored or overly used to routine but we expect certain temperatures in winter and we are adjusted to life at those temperatures.  


The local university has a whole college devoted to the study of water, soil and animal life so I hear and see plenty about climate change and warming.  Yesterday was the most severe example of temperature and its effects as well as human habits of transportation I have experienced.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby