Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Another second

I have never actually lived this day before - ever.  Sometimes, I come across statements like "winning the lottery changed my life forever."  I found out that every additional second literally changes my life forever - each one.  Until that second, I was never as old, I had never lived that long.  What is more, I had not experienced the contents of that particular second before.  I know my eyes and my brain haven't noticed much of interest in that second.  I know that the second looked to me like the second before and this second now.  


When the volcano up the hill blows, when my aging brain can't think of the name of that singer I always like, when I win another damned lottery, then I notice.  It is exciting or scary or comforting or boring but I notice.  See, my brain likes simple, short memorable pictures and descriptions.  You can show me the New York Public Library or even my local public library and tell me that more or less all the wisdom of current and previous people are in those books.  Well, these days, in those books and audiobooks and DVD's and related media.  I am fully capable of going into that building, looking around, fooling around, dabbling in this and sampling that.  Then, when I spot a book or an author that I always liked or a book or an author or an audiobook or a DVD that seems just what I need at the moment, I am fully capable of checking that item out and feeling like I now have the key to everything, that all my needs are being met at that very moment. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby