Thursday, December 9, 2021

Watch her

I have gotten both facts and feelings from the book "Incognito", one of many good books about the unconscious parts of our minds.  That is true to such an extent that I was attracted to work by  Prof. Lisa Feldman Barrett.  She has a TED talk https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=ted+talk+by+lisa+feldman+barrett that is excellent but it might not be accepted by some viewers.  Her title explains the idea: "You are not at the mercy of your emotions - your brain creates them".  It is quite worthwhile watching her talk and watching again in a few days.  There are other good books that explain facts about our unconscious minds, such at these

https://sites.google.com/view/kirbyvariety1/books-about-the-unconscious

Incidentally, I like the title of John Bargh's book, "Before You Know It".  I was standing in the kitchen, deciding which food on the shelf I wanted to eat when I realized I had walked into the kitchen and started looking at foods without realizing what I was doing.  I thought of that title.


Prof. Barrett has a book called "Seven and a Half Lessons About the Brain" and it really cuts to the chase.  The first section is the "half-lesson" and it is titled "Your brain is not for thinking."  Really?  What's it for, then?  For controlling breath, appetite, heartbeat, blood pressure and lots of other things you can't control and don't notice.  I am a fan of TED talks.  They are free, short and excellent.


I was quite confident I had seen a TED talk by Prof. Barrett about the 7 and a half lessons but when I checked the TED talk website, I couldn't find it.  I decided to check YouTube.  Yep!  There it is, along with many other videos by Barrett.  


I read a few years ago about the development of software to make posting and viewing video by connected devices possible and the creation of YouTube.  I asked "How many videos are on YouTube?"  It is not easy to find a clearcut answer.  There are many quotes of the number of videos uploaded per minute (about 300) and many other statistics related to people and videos.  I found the number "149 billion".  Given that there are about 8 billion people on the earth at this time, that comes to about 18.6 videos per person.  I better get busy!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby