Sunday, December 19, 2021

Experiment a bit

I am always hearing from older people that they don't know this or that about computers.  I usually respond that nobody knows much. 


Somebody had an iPhone 6 and the updates got them thinking getting a new phone might be smart.  They were interested in maybe getting away from Apple and getting an Android phone.  But a saleswoman said that her customers seemed happier if they did not switch basic platforms.  Another Apple it was and now there is an iPhone 13.


Whether you get a new phone, or start a blog, or use a different type of connected device, if you can wade into a new arrangement, different machines from different companies can be challenging and frustrating.  However, it is often the case that trying a different program will indeed stretch one's picture of what is possible and what works quickly and easily with today's devices.  


It can help to keep in mind that how one uses a device for one purpose or another has generally been researched and experimented with.  Many school experiences require exhaustive reading but with a modern device, it can be faster and less trouble to just try pressing a few buttons and watch what happens.  I got a new computer for my office and it came up with a choice as to what language the computer should use in working with me.  I thought I always choose English (the only language I know pretty well).  Just this once, I will say I want the machine to communicate with me using Chinese.  It immediately switched to writing in Chinese characters.  Suddenly, I saw a problem: which choices and buttons need to be clicked on to get out of Chinese and into English?  I couldn't tell.  I went to our IT guys and took my machine.  Zip!  Back to English!   I now have satisfied my desire to try any other language.  I am in English and I am going to stay there.  


Commercial machines meant for purchase by all sorts of people are designed to try to be clear and somewhat simple, even when they are confusing and complex.  But trying a few things and then getting your favorite teen to try and fix problems can lead to a closer family life.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby