Monday, December 13, 2021

Carried away

I have a CD of Mozart's Symphony No. 5 in B-Flat Major, K 22.  Quite near the beginning, in the recording by the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, there is a lovely part of horns, trumpets and French horns, that takes over my attention whenever I hear it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUteX9Tdwo  The part that does it to me is at about 32 minutes and 14 seconds.  If you want, you can use the slider to get to that point.  If you listen from the beginning, you will forget to pay attention unless, like me, that passage suddenly grabs your focus.  


There are several recordings of his Symphony No. 5 available on YouTube but several of them play the key section on violins or other instruments.  The transporting effect of the horns is so much better, in my view, that I am surprised experienced musicians would play anything else.  Whenever I hear that passage by the horns, I feel as though I am immersed in roses and angels for a second. 


I know that people think of Google or Bing or Duckduckgo for searching but I recommend also checking right in YouTube for things you are after, especially sounds and sights.  I suspect that people sometimes have a reluctance to use search windows and type in a term but search can be very, very helpful.


Thinking about this music and its effect, I read a little about it.  Mozart composed the piece I am mentioning here when he was NINE years old!

When I was nine years old, I didn't do anything like that. I also saw some clips from the movie "Amadeus" (1984).  If you haven't seen it, you might want to look at it.  It is quite memorable for several reasons.  A professor of music said he considered Mozart the greatest composer ever. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby