Thursday, December 2, 2021

Anti-notification

I am a fan of communication between humans.  Up to a point.  I have a smartphone, a prepaid phone, an old iPad, a new iPad, and four computers.  (They accumulate.)  All of them will supply me with "notifications", bless their hearts.  Modern communications probably started with human speech.  That was at some point in the past, about 1.75 million (!) years ago.  In the last 10,000 years, writing entered the picture.  Writing led to mass writing or "printing."  In the mid-1800's, we got the telegraph.  The late 1800's got things started with radio.  The late 1900's got the internet, coupled with the ability to create and transmit video captures of speech and motion.  Don't forget Ecclesiastes 12:12, "of making many books [and notifications, interruptions, important phone calls, phoney phone calls, phoney posts], there is no end".  Ok, and blog posts, but let's not go there.


Today, I got another written invitation to install an app made by my insurance company.  I checked and I have the app installed on an older device.  I tried to use it.  I tried several times.  I have been told I don't exist.  I really feel as though I actually do.  I called and talked to some very pleasant people.  Nothing seems to have worked.  Upon reflection, I realize I have never used the app so I am hunkering down in darkness without the latest app message.  


Getting a notification is getting a wave from your secretary that the contract arrived, that your friend is in the waiting room, that the White House is calling, again. I don't need that.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby