Thursday, December 23, 2021

A wish for better wishing

It is an old saying "Be careful what you wish for".  I think a main reason is merely that we have limited mental abilities and we simply can't think of all the likely and possible consequences of what we steer toward.  As bad, we may think of many likely results of our wishes, given the situation as we know it now.  Our wished-for goals may be fine "if the creek don't rise".  


We have striven for "equality" but as we do indeed get more equal, maybe it would be better for me if you get a higher rank in things than I have.  Take sex: my life might be heavenly if I were female.  Take height: my life might be peachy if I were double, no, make that 1.15% taller.  I can see the value and the fun and the lift from carrying a child but no, not for me.  Not permitted for MY sex.  I can see the value and the fun of being taller and more imposing but no, not for short guys.  


Well, for years, educators have sought greater equality and greater energy in students.  Of course, they were mainly thinking of better skills for the less skilled, not for less for the currently more skilled.  Growing up, I heard exhortations to be engaged with my community, state and nation and not to be blase, indifferent or bored.  


I am beginning to suspect that we look for the most likely thing to complain about and set to work changing that. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby