Monday, December 27, 2021

Let there be light

Our kitchen has three different fluorescent lamps.  The ceiling one holds four tubes and gives good light.  But, over time, one of the two sets burned out.  I went to our local Lowe's after my son-in-law, the carpenter, removed the bad tubes.  At Lowe's, I got some guidance as to where they keep fluorescent bulbs. I looked at the specifications, such as they were, written near the end of one of the bad tubes and compared and compared.  Quite a few types had signs that said "Sold in full cartons only".  I didn't want to buy 10 and certainly not 20.  


My carpenter-guide said that I should replace all four tubes since the ones still working showed signs at the tube ends of blackening and would soon burn out.  The tubes I thought I wanted sold in sets of two.  I bought two sets for $21.06.  


The kitchen ceiling fixture is in the center of the room so we pushed the kitchen table aside and got two in-the-house stepladders.  Lynn and I climbed way up high in the kitchen altitudes but we could not get the tubes to engage.  Lynn got on the phone to our carpenter-guide.  Just like he did with our accordion blind, he came over, stepped on the stepladders and Plunk!  Plunk! (2) Both tubes immediately took their proper place. Now we have a well-lit kitchen.  My librarian-PhD wrote the bulb specs on a paper we have mounted on the inside of a kitchen cupboard door so we are going to be faster and more efficient in 12 years when we need to get new bulbs.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby