Sunday, December 5, 2021

pictures and writing

CNN's Pictures of this week:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/world/gallery/photos-this-week-november-26-december-2/index.html


Also, writing:

I am impressed with what writing can do.  If you can write or type or print and you can read what was written later, you can bridge a week or several lifetimes or several centuries.  The book by Tom Wheeler "Gutenburg to Google" helps see the power of writing.  Reading the very well put-together book "Einstein for Beginners" by Joseph Schwartz, I came across the word "hierglyphics".  The book said that the word means "priests writing".  That alerted me to writing.  I found a Kindle book, "Hiero" for free with Prime by the ancient Greek Xenophon that is a discussion between a common citizen and the tyrant of the city concerning the pros and cons of life as the ruler.  I get a kick out of the sophisticated points made and I think they apply to high-level rulers today, too.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby