Friday, October 30, 2020

Three notes

1)  My friend, Ken Hanson, introduced me to the magazine The Week.  Both Lynn and I find it the best magazine we get.  This week's issue introduced me to the book by Judith Flanders: "A Place for Everything: The Curious History of Alphabetical Order".  The review emphasizes that people understood the typical alphabetical order is arbitrary and putting things like books in alphabetical order de-emphasized their value or their sacredness.  


2) I keep reading lockdown, quarantine and isolation are putting a great many people in a bad mood, a sour mood, a depressed mood.  I can understand that, but I do think that if we compare what we are going through to what others have done, we will often find the current situation is not too bad.  If you are sick or out of work and money, that is clearly serious. Still, this can be a good time to read, to exercise at home, to practice music or art, to write to friends, to reflect.


3) This blog is more than 10 years old.  That is not a great deal of time but it is enough to allow me to look back and see what I was writing about in previous years.  With this post, I will have 4,016 previous postings and some of them are good reading.  The search window in the upper left corner of the main blog page https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/

allows for searching through them all for mention of a term or phrase.  I looked up a earlier date using the list by date in the lower left of that main page the other day and liked this one:

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2010/10/lust-and-libraries.html





Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby