Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Alternatives

It seems that I keep running into multiples.  First, I find something of interest.  Then, I find that there are alternatives.


Take email, for instance.  It can be difficult to stay up with one's email.  So, some people create multiple email accounts.  But then, when I email my friend, I send my warm and important message to the account he never gets around to.  I have no idea why he doesn't respond.  I don't know that I chose an email address he rarely uses.


Same with phones.  I have four phone numbers.  If you call the right one, we can probably talk.  Otherwise, your urgent matter may sit untended for weeks since I don't know about it.  


Or, books.  I like books.  In fact, I am reading a book these days.  But I actually have other books.  They call to me, tempt me to pay attention to them instead.  Same thing with streaming tv.  While I am watching The Worst Witch on Netflix, I realize I could be watching the latest Acorn series.  


Books are just one branch, tv streams are just a 2nd branch.  When I am reading, I am missing out on some fine audiobooks I could be listening to.  If I try to simultaneously watch a Netflix show and read a book and get in some knitting, I am missing some fine public lectures on the local university Zooms, not to mention the great stuff waiting on YouTube.  


You have heard of radio shows and I have, too.  We have a super state radio system but I just don't have time for that.  You can see why I can't fit broadcast tv into my day.  I don't have patience for the news or political debates.  I realize I decide how to spend my time and what to put my attention on.  I am trying to keep it all going.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby