Sunday, October 4, 2020

Talk on Statistical Methods

I have been working on the notes for a presentation I am giving soon.  The subject is "Basic Statistics" and the time allowed in one period of 90 minutes.  I taught basic statistical methods of data analysis for years and it is often considered a fundamental tool for those writing an experimental master's thesis or doctoral dissertation.  Many teachers are not attracted to numbers, calculation and statistics and they often did not look forward to taking my class.


My goal is to have students show competence in the subject I teach and to arrange for them to develop the needed competence for a grade of A.  I also taught a course in testing and grading and I know that teachers of many levels of schooling have thought that any class that winds up with all A's has been taught by a clown who is too soft and "easy". 


There is an old conviction that any subject can be taught honestly to students of any level of maturity.  I feel that way and liked taking the challenge of trying to do anyone who attends my 90 minute talk some good, and give them an increased knowledge of statistical methods.  I don't plan to use any numbers but simply to mention and explain concepts.


The notes for my talk are here:

https://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/basic-statistics---l-i-f-e-talk


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby