Saturday, October 3, 2020

Passwords and me

I have many passwords and I bet you do, too.  Some logon windows allow me to see what characters I have typed..  I often have capital letters in a password.  When I get a message that the password is incorrect, I like to be able to see what I typed and not just a row of dots.  I try to remember the password.  When I am rejected, I can't tell if I actually typed what I meant to, or not.  I may remember correctly while "fat-fingering" in a way that registers a letter I didn't want.  I can let go of the Shift key too soon or make some other totally mechanical, not mental, error.  


Of course, there is always the problem of remembering a password correctly but remembering the wrong one.  It is usually an earlier one but maybe not the current one.  


There are attempts to use fingerprints or retinal patterns in the eye to identify a user and verify it is the rightful owner of an account.  I have heard of friends who had trouble getting a fingerprint properly recognized.  


I wonder if trying to construct passwords according to the specifications and keeping them in mind is good exercise for my brain.  I have been reading about various studies that tend to show benefits for playing video games.  Maybe signing in with different passwords improves my access to my memories and my retrieval speed. Do I seem faster and sharper to you?

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby