Monday, October 19, 2020

A little pain

Nearly thirty years ago, I had a bit of trouble with the skin on the sides of my nose, where my glasses rest.  I can't remember what got that episode started.  Often, when my glasses are painful, it is because I struck the edge of my glasses against a cabinet door or something.  That can jam the nose piece on the side of my glasses into the skin and bone.  It hurts and the area can be red and sensitive.  


Yesterday, I began to have pain from my glasses resting on my face but I don't remember striking or jamming my glasses into myself.  When I put on my glasses at the end of the day, I was surprised at how red and damaged the area on the right side of my nose looked.  I knew I needed to go to the doctor today and I did.  I figured I had some sort of skin irritation or infection.  I think that as I age, my skin is a little less able to defend itself.


The hospital optical department has been fitting and adjusting my glasses for more than 50 years.  I went there first after checking that they were open and had somebody who could see me.  The woman technician put new nose pads on the glasses and advised me to see my ophthalmologist.  I was able to get an appointment right away and he saw me.  He prescribed over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream twice a day on the area.  He said to use it only for five days since that cream can make the skin thinner.  A dermatologist ran his hand along the top of my forearm years ago and said, "Your skin is so thin."  I have been trying to urge my skin to thicken ever since and I don't need it to be thinning.


If I try and don't get discouraged and immediately dismiss the possibility, I can see pretty well without glasses.  The skin problem is such that it helps to wear my glasses a little farther down the nose than usual.  That way they sit in a new place on my face.  I guess I have yet another situation where I have to be patient and wait, not my best strength.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby