Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Words and pictures of words

If I search for a word on a page, the computer will find that word if it is there.  But it can't find a given word in a picture of words, in a picture of the Declaration of Independence, for instance.  


For a couple of months or more, I have been trying to tell my Kindle my new Twitter password.  Without it, the Kindle cannot transmit highlights from a book I am reading to my Twitter account.  I have 156 Twitter followers, which is very few, but I still enjoy posting interesting bits from books I am reading.  


I know the layout on an older Kindle Oasis and of a newer Paperwhite.  Today, I had an iPad handy.  I know that the options and coding for a Kindle app on an iPad are not identical to those I know.  But when Twitter told this quote was too long,


The answer is simply that you don't know where the prosthetic leg is. Your good leg is streaming an enormous amount of data to the brain, telling about the position of your leg, how much the knee is bent, how much pressure is on the ankle, the tilt and twist of the foot, and so on. But with the prosthetic leg, there's nothing but silence: the brain has no idea about the limb's position. 


Eagleman, David. Livewired (p. 82). Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.


I thought I would try the iPad to see what its controls could do.  It offered me two options, paste a Tweet in words or as an image.  I offered a word Tweet, not a picture but just to explore, I switched to an image.  The software can't count the words in an image and my Tweet was accepted.


My friend, a retired advanced dentist, told me about getting false teeth and how one doesn't realize how much natural teeth send information to the brain about what is going on in the mouth, with the tongue and between the biting teeth.  Eagleman emphasizes the same sort of loss of information with a prosthetic leg and learning to use it.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby