Saturday, October 24, 2020

Earthy

Gladiolus bulbs came out of the ground and daffodil bulbs went in.  The ground is not frozen so it wasn't hard.  For the health of some other plants, we cut off the leaves and supporting stems.  


Here is a link to some of my blog posts about our lawn and grounds. 

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/search?q=lawn


I want simplicity and Lynn wants acceptable appearance.  So far, we seem to be fairly able to achieve both without too much worry, energy or expense.  At our age, it doesn't take much for the job to be somewhat hard work.  One of the advantages of living in the north is that it gets cold, which is a good excuse to stay in and a strong obstacle to working on grounds and plants.


Our trees are getting close to letting go of all their leaves.  We have a little disagreement over procedure.  She has read that letting the leaves stay is a good idea but I have already told our grounds people to give us both a fall clean-up and a spring clean-up.  


I often hear that some cataclysmic event changed everything.  Not only that, but it was "changed forever".  Now that we have dug up bulbs and planted others, our lives are changed forever.  Ok, not in a very big way.  Not in a way that I will remember but our lives are changed.  Yesterday at this time, we had not dug up bulbs nor planted them but now we have.  Our fortunes, our pasts (especially the last few hours), our present and all future (minute) histories could include the change that happened before lunch today.


Last night, I participated in an online session run by the director of the local Center for Critical Thinking, Prof. Warren.  She directed our attention to careful awareness of words used to express ideas.  Her teaching and my awareness of my fading memory and ability to omit events from what I recall does raise the question with me about how I would know if the grounds work changed my life or didn't.  I can carry the idea, more or less memorized, that my life has changed minutely, but if it has not changed, would I know?  Let me get back to you on that.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby