Monday, September 14, 2020

Zooming with lights and makeup

We are Zooming and I would not be surprised if you are doing some Zooming, too.  In some ways, it is an improvement. Less driving, less exposure to auto accidents.  In some ways, it is more trouble.  Some microphones are turned too low.  In a large group, the mass of class view means that a single person with a hand raised to try to get something said, can be difficult to see and recognize.


But the whole thing has increased my respect for stagecraft and makeup experts.  It is definitely better if I take the time and trouble to move my computer so that light from a window hits my face while I am online.  Sitting in a somewhat darkened room makes me look like a criminal who doesn't want to be recognized.  I am thinking maybe a little rouge for my cheeks, maybe some sort of hair piece to look younger, more attractive, more interesting.  


You know some of our Zoom sessions are being recorded and the recording may be around for a long time.  I want to look good.  I am not sure why, but it is a natural ego thing.  When I am in front of a live class, I move around.  I change my viewing angle of the people in the room.  On Zoom, I am stuck.  Worse, I have a habit of sliding down in my chair.  Then, I notice that only my forehead is in the picture so I straighten up to my full height. I don't have any to spare but I still slide.  


So far, there are no reports of viruses or germs or demons traveling down the wires and infecting us at home.  That's a good thing and I hope things stay safe.  

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby