Friday, September 11, 2020

Go older, young man

Horace Mann famously advised young American men to "Go west".  That was where there were many good opportunities.  Today, I think young men would be well off to "go older", that is, try to find a very slightly older woman that is beautiful, intelligent, calm, warm and see if good relations can be built with her.  That's what I did and look how well I have turned out.


I am currently 99.79% of my wife's age.  You might not notice the age difference if you talked to us.  Most of the time, it is not apparent.  As I have told you, in our early days of marriage, we had little money.  So, what to use for the pot in a little poker game?  Whoever wins the pot is acknowledged to be "right" two thirds of the time.  She won and that got my attention.  I have been keeping careful records for our sixty years together and damn if it doesn't turn out that she is right 90% of the time! 


The book "Fighting for Life" explains the female strategy: quiet and calm. The book says that the female always wins because of her greater quiet.  It's true.  Males are built to protect and fight and tend to have a more sensitive trigger.  My older woman has a rule: only bet against her master when she knows already, and for sure, that she is right and Beanball is wrong.  


Our sweet neighbors presented Smartypants with birthday flowers today and I have been reminded of her superiority all through the day.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby