Monday, September 28, 2020

Feminine gestures

I was intrigued by the part of "The Birdcage" movie where a gay man who often uses feminine guestures and mannerisms tries to master more typically male movement or lack of it.  Little gestures and movements are interesting.  Once I start looking out for them, I see movements that I have never performed, usually from women during their talking.


A few years ago, I watched a highly educated, academic woman seemingly emphasize a point, maybe tentatively, maybe apologetically, maybe emphatically without wanting to be too aggressive, by flexing both knees at once in a standing position.  Not too much of a flex and done quickly but I noticed with interest.  


The other day, I was talking to a middle-aged, intelligent, warm woman.  As she talked, she entwined her arms, to the point where she could have performed the "here is the church and here are the people".  Her arms were straight down and twined, her palms were facing each other.


The picture shows arms bent at the elbows but the woman could hold her arms straight out and interlock fingers on facing palms.


This morning, my wife examined her fingernails in the midst of a conversation.  A few minutes ago, she waggled her hips while mentioning a possible turn some interpersonal relations might take.  Her comment at the time related to some people possibly helping a woman with a project.


I have never seen a man flex both knees for emphasis, intertwine his arms to be tentative or waggle his hips to indicate a possibility that is uncertain.  Maybe I don't talk to enough men.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby