Monday, September 7, 2020

Intrigued

I have about 3000 Kindle books.  Many of them were bought on the spur of the moment and put aside to be read when I get a round tuit.  

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=a+round+tuit&crid=31D8JGD305MXU&sprefix=a+round%2Caps%2C209&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_7

I actually have several round tuits but I haven't used them for reading.  I try to hold down the cost of getting books immediately, and I mean right away, now.  So, just what it was that persuaded me to spend more than my usual price for Michael Gazzaniga's book "The Mind's Past", I am not sure.  I looked up the neuroscientist and found he is a month younger than me.  So, he is old but not too old.  


I am not always able to pin down just what it is about a book, an idea or the timing of my hearing about it or what that gets me interested.   Being interested, as in a piece of music, a movie or a tv show is only the first step.  Next step is beginning to read or watch or listen.  Sometimes, the work is inviting or even gripping.  Other times, I am determined to slog through so I can tell myself I slogged.  It may have been the title.  Neuroscientists like Gazzaniga use the words "mind" and "brain" carefully and distinctly.  "Mind" is what I use consciously to decide what to cook for dinner and whether I spot an error in my arithmetic.  "Brain" produces "mind" and many other things, like reading.  


It may have been the accident of buying a smartphone.  I had assumed that I would not read on a phone, it being so small and all.  I was on a short errand with Lynn and she got into details with another Q Gallery artist so I thought Gazzaniga was interesting a few minutes ago, got my new phone with me, I think I will open to that book.  I did and was reading along happily for ten or fifteen minutes.  Quite pleasant.


"Incognito" says I don't know what is up with my brain and I will never be able to do so fully.  Socrates says "Know thyself".  Who's right?  Are both right in different ways?  Along comes Gazzaniga with comments like this:

Biography is fiction. Autobiography is hopelessly inventive.


Michael S. Gazzaniga. The Mind's Past (Kindle Location 57). Kindle Edition.

I am not putting Socrates, Eagleman or Gazzaniga away.  I am too interested in what the outcome of my explorations will be.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby