Friday, September 4, 2020

Can I pay?

We got new health insurance.  When I got an eye exam, a procedure was performed that was not covered by the insurance.  Please pay $50. I looked up an old address and sent the payment.  Today, I got a more strident bill, not super strident but more so than the last one.  


We have banked with the "same" bank for 50 years.  In that time, the hospital when I got my eye exam has changed names and financial connections and so has the bank.  I looked at the old address I had used and it didn't sound right for now.  The bill that came today included a pre-addressed mailing envelope and the address on it was not the one where I had sent my money.  It was not a local address.  


I used the internet more carefully and found a billing information page that resembled my bill more than it had last time I looked.  Please enter your billing code here.  I did and clicked.  As far as I could tell, totally nothing happened.  Odd.  Did it again and got the same nothing.  


It's an old technology but sometimes the phone works well.  I called the local hospital, listened to how they were trying to deal with emergencies and what the tape advised me to do if I think I have the Covid-19 virus.  Then, a soothing female voice could be heard.  Seemed like a live human being, which was nice.  Told her my tale.  She would connect me to a person who could help.  


All agents are busy helping other customers.  The department will call me back if I will leave my phone number.  I picked up both bills, my checkbook and a facemask.  Drove 6 miles to the hospital.  Parked.  Entered.  Please answer a few questions: do you have a newly acquired cough?  Got lasered in the forehead and given a sticker for my shirt: "Visitor".


I explained that I wanted to pay a bill.  Security guard overheard and said there is no one in billing.  I should pay online.  A nice lady said she thought she could help and walked me down some hallways to a centrally located receptionist.  Receptionist explained that there is a lady that handles bills.  She is in on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Today is Friday.  The receptionist did take my check and now I have a receipt!  Stay tuned for more exciting financial drama.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby