Sunday, October 27, 2013

Two tailored listings

One of the problems with sending links is that the source or target of the link might disappear.  In that case, you get a "broken" link that will simply produce a message that says the "page" (computer file that creates the 'page' on your monitor screen) can't be found.  Still, links are the backbone of the World Wide Web, which itself is an important part of the internet.  I think if I post this statement soon both links below will work.


This morning I have seen two headlines relating to Twitter, the limited-to-headline-like messages social media service.  The first relates to popularity of Twitter vs. Facebook among teens:

It says that Twitter is now reported to have a slightly higher following among teens than Facebook. (from Business Insider and the online Slate)


The second reviews some of the basics of how to use Twitter. (from the New York Times)


My life and business do not engage me with very many teens, although I realize that what they do and what they like may well have implications for the future, mine, theirs, yours and the country/world.


I have been seeing that for me, there are two accumulations that matter to me in addition to email and Google News.  One is Twitter and one is my use of Feedly.  As described in the 2nd link above, Twitter works in a way that allows me to search for people and organizations that I am interested in.  I "follow" them, allowing me to get a copy of the "tweets" (messages) they write.


"Feedly" and other reader/accumulators, such as "Reeder", work in a similar way with blogs.  The nature of a blog is that of a possibly irregularly updated syndicated column.  The reader/accumulator shows a snippet of the latest post a blogger makes.  So, opening Feedly gives me a chance to read through the openings of about 100 blogs I like to see if I want to read further into any new post.


Both of these services are providing me with a tailored, self-chosen news and contact stream that is both informative and manageable, at least so far.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby