Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Spaghettification

"Spaghettification" is a new word I just learned yesterday.  It is the process I would be put through if I were to fall into a black hole.  I am not sure where the nearest black hole is nor how far away it is but I am pretty sure it is quite far.  Maybe on the order 1000 to 1500 light years but the answer seems to be a matter of debate.

I wrote about the iPad app for Great Courses but now it appears there is an Android app for Kindle Fires and Android phones and the like.  The iPad app works very well but the Android app, out since July, has low ratings and negative comments.  Buy the digital version of a Great Course and it is immediately available for streaming and downloading.  Video courses have not been convenient for me since I like to listen while driving.  But being more or less immediately available on my iPad mini, I get more viewing of the only-video courses done and I do it more conveniently.


The course I have been concentrating on is "Our Inexplicable Universe" by Prof. Neil Tyson, a very good presenter.  The course is a run-down of scientific mysteries in several fields.  Tyson explained that falling into a black hole would stretch me and thin me to the point that I would be like the toothpaste extruded from a tube of toothpaste. I would be stretched into a strand of spaghetti and that is exactly the scientific term for the best guess of what I would become.  The process happens because of the difference between the gravitational pull on my head and my feet.  That difference grows greater and more important as I fall into the black hole and it pulls me into a long thin strand like spaghetti.


Anyhow, "spaghettification" is indeed a scientific term and should net you many points in your next Scrabble or Words with Friends game.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby