Sunday, October 20, 2013

If only

If only I were richer, but I'm not.

If only I were better looking, but I'm not.

If only I were smarter, a faster thinker, had a better memory, were younger…


I like to start with toleration.  An "if only" might be part of a smart idea.  If I only had this or that, I might indeed be better off or I might be able to fix it that someone I care about would be.  So, the idea that if only this were true might be the start of a dream or hope that could change into a plan that could change into a realization of something fun, cool, life-saving or life-enhancing - that idea might be right.


However, I like to color "if ony" red.  "If only" is the start of a counterfactual statement: it isn't the case, it isn't reality, it isn't now.  It isn't true.  I have limited insight and limited understanding.  Wishing for something different, hoping for a new possession is a common way to look down on the assets I actually have.  Not being all that good at thinking, I may well be mistaken about the bliss just around the corner.  A new acquisition may cost more than it pays off.


I like to use "if only" as a reminder to consider doing without and appreciating both what I have and what I am not already burdened with.


[Technically, using the words "if only" implies that the wished-for condition is ALL that is missing.  Were that condition to be fulfilled, would my life really be complete?  Doubtful, at best.]




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby