Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Four eyes

It seems to me that wearing glasses is more accepted now than when I was a kid.  I started wearing glasses about age 3.  Of course, I had difficulty keeping them clean and unscratched.


World-wide, I wonder if any other body aid has done so much for people.  I have heard of one or more tv shows about a person who can hardly see without his glasses but who is lost in the wilderness without them or steps on them or otherwise loses them.


One of the most exasperating way to have glasses go awry is for a lens to fall out.  There are some tricky ways that lenses are held in the frame and if a lens does come out, it is often beyond emergency or home repair to get it back in again, even temporarily.


In our house, keeping the lens clean takes up lots of time.  Lynn has trouble with her eyelashes sweeping the lens and leaving bits behind.  I find that even though I try to be careful and not touch the lens or even nearby, I manage to get smears.  I hate smears.  Often after a careful cleaning, my last move, say, putting the glasses down somewhere or putting them on, smears one or both lenses.


I was born with an eye out of alignment and farsighted.  Between birth and age 3, my brain decided to demote the visual signals from the inferior eye to a status similar to peripheral vision and just concentrate on the better eye.  I see out of both eyes but the main sight is what the better eye sees.


Dorothy Parker was said to be a very witty woman.  She is the author of the sentence "men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."  That seems short-sighted of men, to me.  If they would watch the various movie scenes where women remove their glasses, they might rapidly develop an interest in finding appealing women who wear them.  This sort of stripping doesn't reveal much new skin but the change and the action itself can be quite provocative.  The scene in The Witches of Eastwick where the Devil removes the glasses of a high-strung and beautiful violinist shows the erotic possibilities.


Similarly, glasses are often an obstacle to achieving a masculine menacing look.  Not always, of course.  I note that the important figure in Breaking Bad wears glasses.  Superman does not but Clark Kent does.  One takes a look at that Kent chest, neck and head and one sees the full man behind the specs.


Of course, lab technicians, brains, and SWAT team members wear glasses or some sort of eye protection.  It can be that four eyes are better than two.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby