Saturday, May 25, 2024

She could almost be a sweetie

Most of the time, I follow my custom of noting a book that a relative or friend mentions as interesting or worthwhile or informative.  Yesterday, a friend mentioned a tv show I had not heard of.  He acted like it was unusual and said it was a crime show.  I think any type of story can be worthwhile or trite, depending on how it is put together.


Yesterday, a friend mentioned a tv show called "Elsbeth".  I didn't write the name down and later when I tried to recall it, I couldn't.  I called him and he said it again.  A couple of my friends are much deeper students of movies and tv and they have introduced me to more advanced tools that I typically use to find older items.  I just use Netflix and Amazon movies as first steps.  Some people don't feel as charmed by reading as I have been.  I do think a good case can be made for the invention of talking movies and tv as one of the most important communication events in human history.


We found that the first of two "seasons" of Elsbeth can be had from Amazon Prime streaming for $10.  I bought it and we watched the first episode last night.  Elsbeth is a lawyer and specializes in being a genuine pain-in-the-neck.  Like some hostesses, she is sweet and appreciative and concerned for the feelings and life troubles of others, to a maddening degree.  If you have seen some of the disguising and distracting words and manners of Peter Falk's character Columbo, mentally combine that with a really sweet, sweet, even sweeter middle-aged femme, you have Elsbeth.  In the first episode, she notices facts that others don't and uses them to make deductions of importance.  I hope she avoids physical troubles.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby