Saturday, May 18, 2024

Lighting can make an enormous difference

We lived for two months right beside the Royal College of Music in London.  Listening to all that practicing made me more sensitive to the skills mastered by a first class musician.  We had attended some fairly advanced plays during the same days, many of which I didn't understand all that well.  I knew that London has one of the finest theater districts in the world and decided that before I left, I wanted to attend a mainstream, very popular play.  We saw Les Miserables and it wowed my socks off!

The hero's nemesis, Inspector Javert, finally realizes what a monster he has been, how blind he has been, and commits suicide by jumping off a bridge into a raging river.  Ok, here you have a man standing on a wooden stage, in front of hundreds in the audience.  How can you introduce a river?  Zip!  The lights change and the little wooden bridge Javert stands on is revealed to span a wide piece of undulating cloth, the river we all realize.  Javert jumps onto a rolling treadmill beneath the cloth, tumbling and somersaulting his body along the "water".  No problem!  Raging river kills man.  I saw it happen.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby