Monday, May 27, 2024

The military and me

It's Memorial Day and the US armed forces are in the spotlight.  I never served in the armed forces although I thought I might.  When I was in about the 7th grade, my mother had me take exams for a military school.  I don't know if that would have led to serving in the military but I didn't score high enough for a scholarship and we couldn't afford my attendance without one.  At the same time, my sister did score a scholarship for entry into a girls' school.  After a year or so there, she grew unhappy.  She was determined to escape and climbed out an upper story window on a "rope" of knotted bedsheets.  The knots came undone and she fell several stories into a bush.  She emerged unhurt but she had convinced my mother to bring her home.


I went to a large all-male public high school.  Near final graduation, we were asked our plans after high school.  The Vietnamese war was on and some classmates planned to enter office training at college.  I didn't want to be in combat so I wrote that I planned to join the navy.  I didn't think I could afford college but my guidance counselor and my homeroom teacher told me unequivocally to go to college.  My mother suggested I check out the teachers' college nearby.  I found that teachers colleges got state support and had very low student charges.  In my college junior year, I met the woman I have been married to for 64 years.  As a married teacher in preparation, I got student and married and fatherhood deferments.


Of course, I salute the achievements, sacrifices and difficulties US armed forces have experienced.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby