Thursday, May 23, 2024

Not just accumulating money

Sometimes, friends express disgust at overuse of the "profit motive".  It can seem like all people care about is making money, sometimes in not-so-good ways.  But I think a different motive is as powerful or more so: the desire to have "something to do".  Your woodcarver may love carving but just having an activity that makes sense, that is fun and engaging can be very powerful.  As a kid, l liked the way books brought a story, an adventure or just a narrative that took my mind in directions and to places and topics I didn't think of by myself.


The company called Storyworth asks me questions about my history and my thoughts that prod me in directions I don't usually venture in.  A person my age has more history than he can remember and putting my memory to work as well as asking my partner what she remembers takes me to experiences I have not thought about for decades.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby