Friday, May 31, 2024

Reviewing books I already have

I am keeping myself from shopping new book titles to review what I already have.  One of the early purchases was "A User's Guide to the Brain" by John J. Ratey, MD.  I have read other Ratey books and I benefit from his writing.  When I read some of that book before, it was about 2008.  I wasn't familiar with the Kindle's ability to highlight worthwhile comments and create a single file of them so I really didn't highlight much.  Now as I go through the book, I find very valuable insights.


In graduate school, I, like many others, was interested in WFF's, - well-formed formulas.  I was being charmed by certainty, perfection, total correctness.  Ratey wrote in 2002 that "The sooner we replace our mechanistic model of the brain with an ecologically centered, system-view, the better off we will be, for such a model better accounts for much of human experience."  I translate this sentence with an awareness of the fascination with developing the RIGHT formula.  Ratey emphasized that we humans do not operate formulaically but instead work with metaphors and impressions.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby