Thursday, May 16, 2024

Value of writing by hand

I have seen several articles recently about finding that writing by hand, as opposed to using a keyboard, is touted as being better for thinking, understanding, wording a communication to self or others.  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=the+benefits+of+writing+by+hand&atb=v423-1


I just looked up "value of writing by hand" in Duckduckgo (which says it blocks more tracking) and found a statement that writing by hand tends to slow the writing compared to using a keyboard.  For good, professional secretaries and typists I don't doubt that is true.  I am not a fast typist.  I do write notes for possible blog posts by hand but I compose the final copy for posting by keyboard.  I tend to read the post aloud to Lynn and also to use Google Docs and its grammar/spell checker, which is the best of several I have tried.


John McWhorter, the Columbia University linguist, has taught me that language is always changing and what used to be ok or not-ok may no longer be that way.  In a similar way, I note that one company I deal with says that "proper format" for a date is mm/day/year with the date in four digits.  Others realize that we generally get along with just two digits for the year since most dates of "24" are meant to be 2024, not 1924.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby