Monday, April 10, 2023

Personal presence on the internet

Even using a connected device, it is quite possible not to see web pages that you or someone working for you made. It is somewhat like having a large billboard on the edge of town that lists your work hours.  If you get sick or decide to go fishing, it still tells people you are open when you aren't.  It is easy to forget about web pages that state outdated information.  Many people have pages or other announcement tools that they themselves can't open or access or change. Again, out of sight, out of mind.  


I urge people to make a presence on the World Wide Web with a standard-type web address that people can visit.  I suspect if a person goes to the trouble of creating a site and/or a blog, they will be less likely to forget the information hanging out there to the world.  A web thingy, site or blog or both, attracts attention from all over the country and the world.  Here is a list of sources of visitors for my blog for the last 30 days:

United States

1.68K

France

28

Russia

17

Canada

8

Singapore

8

Netherlands

3

Germany

2

Australia

1

Czechia

1

United Kingdom

1

Other

32



Most discussions of blogs and web sites assume the underlying purpose is advertising a business, service or product. My stuff doesn't do that, but it is fun and satisfying, still.  One advantage of writing things about life and thought is that I can search my online writing for a name or term when I am trying to put together a memory.  


You search out all alternatives and possibilities.  My rule of thumb is that there are always more than I know about.  I fall back on Google stuff most of the time.  To get started, it helps with Google to give yourself a Gmail email address.  That opens the door to Google's 250+ services, apps and products.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby