Friday, April 14, 2023

Rooms of my life

I see houses listed for sale.  I get The Week and it includes an area, such as the Texas Panhandle and some houses for sale there. In a national magazine like that, they put houses that are listed for 3 or 4 million dollars.  In that magazine, the final house is "The steal of the week" and it usually is listed for around a half million. A fundamental fact of a house is its total square feet of floor space.  Do I want to save my money, improve my credit rating and persuade a finance company to lend me a big chunk of dough, which I will repay, with interest, over 25 years?


No, I don't.  It was when I first started teaching in a distance education setting that I saw my work space shrink to a computer screen and a connected keyboard.  Some jobs need a workshop and many tools.  Teaching young children with limited reading ability may require limited class numbers so that the teacher can see, converse and evaluate them individually and more closely.  But if the lessons to be learned are in a book or on tape or film, the teacher's work is mostly careful evaluation and assessment.  A spreadsheet listing all student names and showing columns for each assignment is the main tool the teacher uses.  Tracking who has done what level of work is the main activity.  Communication by whatever means with each student about the grade received and what can be done to improve can be by email or text or other means.  The University of Wisconsin was doing "correspondence courses" conducted by mail going to and fro in 1891.  The Wikipedia says that a correspondence course was advertised in the Boston Gazette in 1728.


I don't need a bigger house.  I like having a couple of bathrooms, a kitchen, a welcoming living room and a dining room.  It is nice to have a spare bedroom and an office.  We don't have several young children so we are fine, even if not all that impressive or awesome.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby