Thursday, April 27, 2023

Wives vs. mothers

I have been interested in books by Robert A. Johnson for a long time. He was a psychologist who wrote some helpful books that informed me in new areas.  I read "He: Understanding Masculine Psychology" and liked it.  When I found he had "She: Understanding Feminine Psychology", I was delighted and read it right away.  


One of the things I especially like about using Amazon's Kindle e-reader is its Highlights file.  I often try to stay alert to highlight a sentence or more that strikes me as a valuable or delightful statement.  There are times when I know I have read a book on a Kindle e-reader.  I look a book up on Amazon's web site, and yes, I own access to an ecopy and I have since a few years back.  I load the book into an e-reader and there are the notes from my reading 5 or 10 years ago.  I press a button and the notes are sent in a single file to my email address.


"She: Understanding Feminine Psychology" was very much about the tensions that often exist between a young man's new wife and his mother.  The mother carried him in her body for months, gave birth to him, nurtured and loved him and raised him.  Here comes this fluffy young thing to TAKE HIM AWAY! Grrrr!  Of course, many people of the feminine persuasion have a deep-rooted practice of showing only sweetness so Mom may smile at her but briefly, cooly, with just the right body language to let What'sHerName know that she has a damned nerve even existing, much less attracting the affections of her son.  Robert A. Johnson wrote:

This drama of mother-in-law and daughter-in-law is acted out in every culture and is one of the psychic irritants which can contribute so much to a young woman's growth.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby