Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Pop-ups ads??

I enjoy the newspaper comics.  Today's Ziggy cartoon tells that Ziggy suspects he has been spending too much time online. He is starting to get pop-up ads in his dreams.


Pop-ups, especially ads that jump up in front of text I am trying to read, are especially annoying.  I often close the whole tab immediately when a pop-up gets in the way.  The Firefox browser offers what Mozilla calls 'reader view' which strips away all peripheral stuff and shows just the main part of the page.  Sometimes, that is a big help and sometimes it isn't.  It depends on what I am watching or reading. 


If I save the page to Pocket, another Firefox option, I can sometimes manipulate the Pocket-saved page to get what I want and drop what I don't want.


I tried searching "Are pop-ups in front of text I am reading impolite?"  and found several statements that they have increased reading ads and successfully gotten attention to the desired target.  Sorry to learn that!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby