Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Surprise!

I benefitted from my connection to the Boy Scouts as a kid. I think what happened is that I got hold of a copy of the Field Guide and was intrigued.  Then, I got the main document, the Boy Scout Handbook.  I learned that as a beginner, I would be a "Tenderfoot".  If I passed certain requirements, I would become 2nd class, then 1st class, Star, Life and Eagle. Eagle required aquatics like boating and swimming and life-saving.  I was not a water guy, could not swim well, and only made it to the rank of Life.  With my Troop, I attended Broad Creek Camp several times and I was an employee there, too.  The camp held 900 campers a week and each troop camped together at one of the many campsites.  


Today, I wondered how Scouting was doing and I asked Google if there were more Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts.  I was quite surprised to find all sorts of questions and information about both organizations having members of the opposite sex.  I gather that both groups are less popular than they once were, but what really surprised me was the material on girls in Boy Scouts and boys in Girl Scouts.  I understand the idea that the body's sexual equipment is not always complete for one sex or the other and that it is no picnic to be sexually ambiguous or sexually odd.  I joined Boy Scouts when I was 10 years old and was employed by them in my early twenties.  Despite my knowledge of an indistinct line between the sexes and my incessant interest in the female sex, I was surprised at the number of documents and the amount of information about boys in Girl Scouts and girls in Boy Scouts.  When I think of the activities and the work I did in the Scouts, I imagine it went better for the boys and men involved with no girls or females present.  I admit I have no experience with both sexes in the activities and maybe it is as good or even better

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby